Laugher really is the best medicine
What fun we had at Word of Mouth last night! Whilst the rest of Oxford were stuck on the road trying to get from A to B a group of Fe-line Women were laughing their socks off in the Phoenix Picturehouse in Jericho!
Annabel James from Just Laughter: The Oxford Laughter Club told us how to laugh our way to better health. Turns out laughing has some great health benefits and as adults we just don’t do enough of it!
First came ‘the science bit,’ we learnt why laughing is so beneficial to us physically and emotionally. It’s a cardiovascular workout, its good for the face muscles, it increases circulation, increases oxygen intake, releases happy hormones ‘endorphins’ and reduces stress hormone, ‘cortisol’! And best of all, anyone can do it.
Then Annabel took us through some laughter yoga exercises. There were some nervous faces to begin with, as we all had to leave our inhibitions at the door. But everyone soon got into the exercises as we went around the room revealing our secret laughs to each other and covering ourselves in laughter lotion! We finished by sitting in a circle with our backs facing in and just laughing for no reason! There was not a dry eye in the house and my jaw ached from so much laughing.
The top 5 tips that we picked up were:
- Fake it! Your body doesn’t know if it is really laughing or fake laughing. By faking it you still get the same health benefits.
- Wake up smiling! Try making yourself smile when you wake up. It will put you in a good frame of mind and will soon become habit.
- Laugh for no reason! Children laugh just for the hell of it and we should too!
- Who needs the gym! 1 minutes hearty laughter has the same health benefits as 10 minutes on the rowing machine. I know what I would rather do!
- Cover yourself with laughter lotion! Laugh as you open your imaginary bottle of laughter lotion and cover yourself from head to toe!
Another amazing night and another amazing Oxford woman! We can’t wait to do it again on Tuesday 14th February when we will be learning from Lucy Eckley Why communication is the key to success!
For more information about laughter yoga sessions in Oxford visit: www.justlaughter.co.uk